Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do we teach EFL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriscurwen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Why do we teach EFL? Reply with quote

Hi,

I know this is a very open question, but would anyone be able to share a few key ideas on why do we teach EFL? (from the viewpoint of both teacher & student)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, just for a small EFL research project.

Thanks,

Chris C.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I teach?
Probably the same reason many other people teach ESL. I started when the economy went bad 6 or 7 years ago.
I had just come back from a bit of travelling and didn't fancy spending 6-12 months unemployed and looking for work (despite having degrees and diplomas coming out of my backside).

An old housemate from university had recently moved to *beep* to teach ESL and he suggested that I give it a shot. I applied for work in Tokyo and got the job. Basically, I took up teaching due to a lack of any other positive options. (a story I have heard from quite a few other teachers)

Little to no training (as is usual with McSkools in Asia) and I was enjoying it.
6 years later, I've grown to be pretty damn good at this teaching malarky. I'm now DoS of a couple of schools and I'd like to think that people actually learn things when in my classes. To be sure, during my first 2 years of teaching, if anyone ever learnt any English, it was completely by accident and had nothing to do with me.

Why do I keep doing it? Well, I did return to the motherland about 2 years ago and tried to have a 'normal' job in an office. 3 months later I was going insane and sending applications out to every school I could find. It seems that 'normal' jobs are just not for me anymore. It appears that I enjoy training and teaching people.

***Note*** Dear Dave's ESL Cafe.
F.u.k.u.o.k.a is not a curse word. It is the name of a city in Japan. Why it's being automatically censored is beyond me. I mean, does ever word containing an F, a U and a K get censored?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: