Activities for the whole kindergarten on the playground?

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

HeavyWater

Activities for the whole kindergarten on the playground?

Post by HeavyWater » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi, wondering if anyone has any advice on activities to do with children on the playground. Children range in age from 2-6 and there can be up to 200 children. My school does playground English where the entire school will be out in the playground and I'm given a mic and expected to teach/entertain/put on a show for the parents for 15 to 20 minutes. Basically involves singing a few songs and playing a game.

I'm wondering if anyone has activities that can be done by all students. Currently I've been dividing them into their class groups and getting them to play games like hot potato, or just picking around 10 - 15 kids out of the crowd to play a smaller game, but the teachers don't all like this and it can get boring for the kids not playing. Some branches are easier because the students stand in a semi-circle around me and I can teach using flashcards and flashcard games. With other I'm in the middle of a circle with the microphone so flashcards are more difficult to do.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.