Kindergarten Student

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

gervea

Kindergarten Student

Post by gervea » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:16 am

This is my first year teaching ESL in a small rural school district in Minnesota. I have a kindergarten student that I am wondering about. She has two older sisters. Their L1 is Spanish. I know that mom speaks English because she translates for the migrant farm workers in the area. However, I believe they speak mostly spanish at home.
This student says very little and what she says seems to be rote. For example, everyday I see her she tells me, "I have a note from mom." I have never seen a note from mom. Everyday at the end of the day she tells her classroom teacher she will color her a picture. She has many statements like this she says regularly. She seems to know who to say them to (the teachers) but they don't seem to be true. Like I said they seem to be rote. She says very little beyond these statements. My question is is this normal? Is it an extension of the silent period? Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone encountered this before? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks