It’s extremely difficult to teach my own brother English

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Anne Yang

It’s extremely difficult to teach my own brother English

Post by Anne Yang » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:02 am

It’s extremely difficult to teach my own brother English. It seems that all teaching strategies are useless to him. At first, I liked to use songs, puppet plays, fresh cards and games to evoke his interest. Then I found that he would take out his own toys and ignore me. After my first failure, I decided to be harsh to him. To earn my sympathy, he would start crying. Sometimes he even complained about me to my mother. Then the class would end with his crying and my mother’s lecture about how naughty he was. To review the vocabulary, I would ask him to do some brainstorming. The result was his confession of not memorizing the words. Besides, I can’t find a right time to teach him. In the morning, he would be very sleepy. In the afternoon, after I prepared the lesson, he had already been out with his friends, playing basketball. At night, he may argue that he hadn’t finished his own school assignments. Is that my fault or it’s just because he don’t want to learn English?

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:31 am

Oh dear, I think you stated it very well in your title. I think it is always difficult to teach someone in your own family, especially if he or she isn't interested. I'm afraid it sounds like you have a recipe for disaster. Why are you teaching him English anyway? It sounds like he isn't interested. I bet the more you try to push him, the less interested he will be, and the more tension you will have in your family. Does he have the chance to learn in school?

Anne Yang

Post by Anne Yang » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:02 pm

In my country, elementary school students will learn English in their 5th year. However, many children will learn English at cram schools before school teachers teach them. My mom wants me to teach my brother to help him do a better job at school. :cry:

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:35 pm

In that case, I guess it isn't up to you. Perhaps you can talk to your brother and make an agreement with him. Does he know any English at all? Perhaps you can start with some basketball words, or something else he is interested in. It sounds like a difficult job. Teaching in your own family is always full of problems.