Too Easy to Tell

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cosette

Too Easy to Tell

Post by cosette » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:57 pm

On one Wednesday, I got an emergent job, which is to teach three elementary boys English few weeks ago. The next day was my first time to teach them and I got no idea at all about their English degree. All I could do at that time was to look over the textbook and as though I was ready for it.
At the beginning of my first class, we read over the vocabulary part together, and I learned what kind of challenge I would encounter in the near future. And that is three of them had very different English learning background and degree. One of them could not even read a word correctly. So I had to slow down my speed and made sure how much they had learned from me. What frustrated me most was that some basic and simple ideas became very difficult for them to learn. The simpler an idea is, the more easily I would fail to describe it.
After few times of teaching, I have to say that I also learn something by teaching the three cute boys. Teaching them reminds me in what way my teacher taught me when I first time learned English and enforces me to organize grammar and structure in my brain before blurting them out. It is very true that learning by teaching.

betheone

BE HAPPY~~~

Post by betheone » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:34 am

Dear Cosette~~~

I am glad that you have the experience of "learning by teaching"~~
As I first time teaching in a language school, it was scared me to be with a group of junior high school students---- active and noisy students.
They are sometimes sweet angels and also devils when they are like "outsiders" in your teaching!!!
Patience seems to be the necessary element!!
They are still kids.....it's impossible for them to concertrate on learning for a long time. Some related games or activities would interest them.
In addition, those three boys are in different levels, I would like to suggest you to teach them in different ways. But you would feel tired.
The most important thing is that it would confuse them if you teach them in "an English major" way!! Since all they need is to get along with English but be professional to it.
Sorry I did not give you any efficient way to solve your problems. That is just my experience to teach junior high school students :? :?

cosette

Thank you, Betheone

Post by cosette » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:47 am

I really appreciate your suggestion!! Really really!
It is right that I cannot be hurry while teaching. Let's take it as a situational problem; that is to say, I think it is because Iam teaching in the cram school that every week I have to finish one lesson. I really hate that because it does no good to these children. It is their first time to learn a foreign languge, and if I cram everything to them one time(exactly the cramschool style), they may feel frustrated and don't want to learn it anymore.
So I decide to meet them in the extra hours to practice the exercises with them. I think this is the only polocy I can think out now. They have quite different level, so I need to spend more time on them to make them catch up with one another.
Moreover, thanks for the idea that all I have to do is to involve them in English learning, not to become a professional learner. I will adjust my way of teaching.
:D :D

Simon Yang

Be in their shoes

Post by Simon Yang » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:54 am

Foremost i would suggest you be in their shoes: kids are kids!!
It would be thier very FIRST time to learn a foreign language, and if they unfortunately find it boring or diffiuct, they won't like it anymore when th ey get older and will possibily quit learning it.
Multimedia (such as English songs and videos) is a very good method that you could probably use to interact with them, and by doing so, chances are that they may grow interest in learning a language that is totally new to them.
Try not make English seem unfriendly and too challenging to them, because they may have "English phobia" and will try to avoid learning it later on.
Additionally, build in their head that you are attached to them and make them feel like you are their parents away from home who can be so easy to get along with.
So, always keep in mind that kids are kids, some of them are just starting to learn ABCs! Be in their shoes, ie., try to imagine when you were at their age, how you looked at English.

juyu522

Post by juyu522 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:18 pm

ya....sometimes it is really very hard to explicate an easy thing to others, especially translating words for beginners of learning language. i think u could put some interesting games and activities in class so that u can attarct these children. i remembered that when i was a child, i loved to study english in the cram school because we always played games. although it seems to be a common or even useless way for children to learn english, children actually remember words quickly through things that they are interested in. maybe u should spend more time on them. they could learn more easily when they are more familiar to english, and u won't feel so infrustrated like now. it is really a challenge for u to teach beginners (they even are children) english; after all, u r not a professor. just go ahead, and be more patient. u can do it!! :wink:

Silva

Post by Silva » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:14 am

dear cosette~
it's very fortunate for you to have such an opportunity in teaching, and i'm sure this experience helps you a lot. as an english major, i know that most people who study in english will go teach kids; therefore, if you also want to teach english, you have to press yourself to go on learning in both how to aquire more knowledge and how to teach effectively. for this part, i strongly suggest you to go discussing with fannie who also has similar experience with you and posts an essay in forum "activities and games"~ wish both of you can get something from each other~ :D

Belina

Post by Belina » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:35 pm

Dear Cosette~

It’s a good chance for you to learn how to teach children. Maybe you would face some difficulties in classes but it’s also a quite interesting and a pretty good experience in your life. Many students do not pay much attention to their study skills, so they waste lots of precious time. You can use some activities or interesting ways to attract them in your teaching just like juyu522 said. Besides, before you explain texts to them, you could ask them to prepare lessons before the class but don’t give them much pressure. ha ha~ :lol:

Aya

simple opinion

Post by Aya » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:39 pm

:D i don't know if it's true, but it works for me. i'd just say that it's really easy to learn english once you put yourself into a whole english environment which means you can't use your mother language but english. like me, i used to live in an int'l hall but now i moved out to some other dorms where im the only chinese in the building. besides, hanging out and partying a lot with americans would help a looot as well. well, that's my personal opinion tho, hope it helps. lol

ngelim79

Post by ngelim79 » Thu May 13, 2004 5:48 am

I'm teaching english in elementary school.
I am worried about teaching english as like Cosette.

you are a great help to me!!
Your advice will come in pretty handy.