Matching material to skill level

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jbh_OK

Matching material to skill level

Post by jbh_OK » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:12 pm

I'm not writing material, but I hope that someone who does/is can help....this seems like an appropriate place to start.

On Monday I start a new teaching position. I just found out today that my students will be EFL adult intermediate level, and that the director prefers that I do NOT use any ESL/EFL textbooks, as it is only a two-week intensive course. The problem is that I've always used texts and am unclear about what grammar skills (for example, phrasal verbs, conditionals, tag questions, etc.) are appropriate for this level of students.

Can anyone recommend a sort of 'guideline' list or table for determining which grammar elements to include for the various levels: beginner, advanced beginner, intermediate, advanced intermediate? If you can recommend a TEFL/TESL book that discusses this issue, that would also be most helpful.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jane

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:33 pm

This is the curriculum guide used for non-credit ESL in San Francisco:
http://www.ccsf.edu/Resources/Teacher_R ... /curr.html

I write my own materials, so I use it as a reference. Perhaps it will give you some ideas.

jbh_OK

Post by jbh_OK » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:37 pm

Lorikeet wrote:This is the curriculum guide used for non-credit ESL in San Francisco:
http://www.ccsf.edu/Resources/Teacher_R ... /curr.html

I write my own materials, so I use it as a reference. Perhaps it will give you some ideas.
Thank you so much. This is almost what I was looking for, although it's really helpful in other ways. What I had hoped to find was something slightly more specific, with which grammar points matched which levels. For example, intermediate = phrasal verbs, past modals, etc.

I can get some of this by checking the contents pages of some ESL textbooks, workbooks, etc., since most of them list the structures they cover, but I'd rather find a more definitive (and possibly more precise) guideline.

Thanks again,

Jane

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:21 pm

The grammar points are covered if you click on the levels listed below. They are found under the section that says, "Language Forms" (which follows the sections under "Language Skills"). It's just a guideline anyway.