text for short term visit

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

rachelb

text for short term visit

Post by rachelb » Fri May 14, 2004 2:39 pm

In September, I will be teaching English lessons to a group of Japanese college students during their very short visit to the US (9 class days). They are roughly intemediate level English students. I need a text or booklet or some kind of material that I can use with them during this time. I would love to find something premade so that I don't have to create the materials myself. Most textbooks are far too large for the short amount of time I will be teaching. Does anyone know of something that is suitable for a short visit?
Thank you for your advice.
Rachel Butler

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri May 14, 2004 3:58 pm

Your local tourist bureau will have an excellent guide to your area and it would make a perfect "textbook" for your class along with visits to some of those places. Have the students write their own textbook to take home with them about their experiences. Students who are coming for 9 days don't need to sit in a classroom and read yet another book. How about getting some volunteers their age or arranging some activities with social groups their own age. The English will come quickly and having email pals to write will keep it going and vice versa of course.