Can anybody help me find phoneme lists?

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jenviolin

Can anybody help me find phoneme lists?

Post by jenviolin » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:26 pm

I found a great website a few days ago: each vowel phoneme had a list of words that had that vowel sound, but the vowel sounds were spelled differently. It was the best list I've ever found - some of the phonemes had many different spellings and lots of examples.

Murphy's law: you always forget to bookmark the one website you are going to need later!

Does anybody know of a website where I can find these kinds of lists? There are plenty with two or three examples per phoneme; I'm looking for ten or twenty.

Thanks, friends!

Duncan Powrie

Post by Duncan Powrie » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:05 am

I don't use the web that much, so I can't offer you much help in finding your website (i.e. you'll stand a better chance of finding it yourself than I will!).

I just wanted to mention the COBUILD English Guide to Spelling (perhaps it is number 8 in that series?), and the ACE (Aurally Coded English) Spelling Dictionary. Maybe check them out if you see them in a bookstore and tell us what you think...

Popster

Word Lists

Post by Popster » Sat May 15, 2004 1:56 am

This may be a bit complex but there are enough words for each phoneme to keep a class busy for a while:

http://wiki.montessorimom.com/index.cgi ... 39297a103e