Travel-related conversation texts?

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hasu

Travel-related conversation texts?

Post by hasu » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:27 am

I'm teaching two upper-beginner/low-intermediate adult students who want to learn English for travel situations. For example, they want to practice conversations and vocabulary used on airplanes, at customs, at hotels, in train stations, etc. Any suggestions of texts that focus on travel-related issues, dialogs, and vocabulary? Thanks!

debskirkby

Post by debskirkby » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:33 am

Thought I'd respond to the lack of responses with a response, but you might no longer be in Japan and need advice, but for future on-lookers, here's what I've found...

Passport series by Oxford University Press has a book all on how to prepare for situations while overseas, made especially for Japanese students, yo can get hold of them and ask for a sample copy...am gonna be using this with my class starting soon as they go to Australia next year for their second year at high school. This book would suit any age, is basic but not too basic, good grounding material anyway so you can supplement easilly...teachers book has some good ideas...

Hope to have helped someone...

vishal

Post by vishal » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:58 am

Well for Travel related guide please refer http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/ one of the best site for learning and make the other understand about any destination in the world, and offcourse to understand car rental for car rental need click here

ted

texts for travellers

Post by ted » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:52 am

Two texts that are supposedly concerned with "travel English" are:

How To Survive in the USA from Cambridge University Press
and
On The Go from Longman

I haven't seen either...I just came across them recently when I was searching for new text possibilities myself. I can recommend the Passport series from Oxford. We have used it here for the last few years. From what you say, it would suit your situation perfectly. Be aware, though, that it is a purely communicative text. There is next to no grammatical explanation of the phrases presented. It's therefore better suited to students who have more than a basic grasp of English already. Failing that, you'll have to supplement it with your own grammar teaching!