teacing children pronunciation

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lioness

teacing children pronunciation

Post by lioness » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:57 am

Hello - I am teaching children (aged 7-14) in China. I am not the only teacher for my students, they only see me every two weeks and the rest of the time they have a chinese teacher teaching them english. I am expected to concentrate on their speaking and pronunciation. However, my experience is all with adults (I taught in istabul for a 1 1/2) whom I could specifically teach pronuciation. How much time do you spend on pronunciation lessons with children? How do you present it? Does anyone have good games for pronunciation?
Thanks

revel

Look in the Pronunciation thread....

Post by revel » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:11 am

Good morning.

Go over the posts in this thread, I and others have discussed similar situations here. Check out the idea cookbook and adapt the activities to your situation.

peace,
revel.

everlasting_noble

Re:

Post by everlasting_noble » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:57 pm

Hi,
I'm a junior in uni major in English and I teach kids English as well. According to my experience, first of all, they need a teacher with correct pronunciation leading them through the books. The teacher should correct them everytime they make a mistake when pronouncing. In my opinion, it is not helpful to teach them phonics too soon. Kids understand when they can feel the real thing, so you can teach them how to round the lips or use the tongues to produce the correct sound. It works. Don't underestimate children's abilities. They're good at imitating, so after the class, ask them to listen to the tapes or cds recorded by native speakers and repeat after them. For my students, this works wonder. Also in the future, correct their pronunciation over and over again. Once they practice enough, they'll remember it.

Good luck

monkeywrangler

th's and v's

Post by monkeywrangler » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:26 pm

I find th and v are the hardest sounds for my students. For "th" I make them touch their tongue to their teeth. "Th" is a sound they tend to say like an "s". For "v" make them touch their teeth to their botom lip and it should itch or tickle when they make the "v" sound.