ESOL & Learning Disabilities

<b>Forum for teachers working with deaf students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Boomerbff

ESOL & Learning Disabilities

Post by Boomerbff » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:13 pm

I am a student at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. At present I am working on my master's in English Education.

As part of this course of study, I am taking a survey course that deals with exceptional learners. The course is extremely comprehensive and attempts to provide a satisfactory overview on a variety of issues.

Most recently we received an assignment to try and identify an ESOL student who also happens to be LD (learning disabled). We are to conduct an interview with the student's parents to try and gain an expanded understanding of the marriage of ESOL and LD.

I am having trouble located such a student. Given that these interviews can take place via the Internet, I thought of posting to various ESOL forums—including this one.

Please Email me if you are the parent or teacher of such a student. I would be grateful for your help and assistance, and look forward to hearing from you.

THANKS!

Gina

futureaslinterpreter

Post by futureaslinterpreter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:06 am

Gina-
I can understand where you are coming from, but I thought I would let you know that many Deaf people are very offended as a culture when you sugges that they are disabled in any way. Changing your wording may help in your search.

EH

Post by EH » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:08 pm

It's true--this wasn't the best forum to post your message, because deafness and LD are generally considered two different things. However, it's also true that Dave's doesn't have a forum for ESL and LD (why?), so I can see why you tried here.

As a bilingual speech-language pathologist I see a lot of kids who are English language learners and have LD. I can't refer any of them to you directly due to confidentiality concerns, but if you'd like to ask any general questions I'd be happy to answer you. Good luck.
-[email protected]