English for tour guides

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Alix

English for tour guides

Post by Alix » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:10 pm

help! This is getting to be a nightmare!
Context - teaching potential tour guides on the Isla del Sol on Lake Titicaca (Bolivia) - most have shaky Spanish - generally speak Aymara - low literacy rate - but these guys know what they are talking about. Does anyone know where we can get general simple phrases, etc. If not I will have to write the course and I don't have time!
Anyone out there want to come and teach?

nkent

Post by nkent » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:26 pm

Hey,
I realize it has been a couple months since you posted, but I am up late waiting for an early morning bus and came across your post. I am just curious how it is going and if you found any good resources. If you have time I would love to hear how things are going with that.
Thanks,
Nate
[email protected]

coffeedecafe

Post by coffeedecafe » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:12 am

i have noticed that many tour guides in america follow a basic memorized script for the site they are touring this can be written down either by the company or the tutor and taught word for word.
a simple statement that" you, the tourists, are my teachers as the guide is still learning english" will put many of the tourists at ease and on the side of the guide.
later tonight i am going to plug words like kindergarden vocabulary into a search engine and see if i can get a working basis for simplistic language beginnings.
it sounds like you are working under time and specific duty constraints.

leonar

English for tour guides

Post by leonar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:09 pm

Hi there,
I am a teacher of English at a school of tourism and hotel management in Santa Clara, central Cuba.
We do not train tour guides, but hotel line-staff and I have designed some modest teaching materials for occupational purposes.
Should you be interested in taking a glance, drop me a line.
My email address is [email protected]
After February 15th it might change to [email protected]
I'd be glad to help.
Greetings,
leonar