Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st year ESL stories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Texas ESL Teachers and Teaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itza

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: 1st year ESL stories Reply with quote

Hello again! Very Happy I just wanted to see if anyone would like to share some 1st year ESL classroom stories. What worked with your kids? What didn't? How did it go the first year? Etc. Since this I am going to be a first year teacher soon, I just wanted to hear from teachers to see what their first year experiences were like? So please feel free to tell me about them. I would be very intrested. Thank-you.
Jolja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the teacher who taught at this school before me did nothing but "drill and kill" grammar. Lots of grammar worksheets and tests and very little else.

I've set up writing journals (which work great and give the first few minutes of each class some order) , a computer lab (which the kids love but I'm constantly having to supervise so they don't download music or email in their native language) and more conversational games and DOLs. Overall things are good, and our few discipline problems have managed to get kicked out of school by now.

But the PEIMS and LPAC meetings are killing me because the school wiped out the database that they had been using to track ESL students, the admissions person forgot to give HLS to the counselors and I, and someone in the records room decided the blue folders were hard to sort through and destroyed some of them during the summer Sad I'm the only ESOL teacher in my school and the paperwork makes me want to teach English lit instead!

I love the students, but hate the paperwork. Oh well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Texas ESL Teachers and Teaching All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: