Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are students reluctant to read.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezdoes34

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Are students reluctant to read. Reply with quote

I find that my Students are reluctant to read! I have used comic books, children's books, and easy reading materials. As of late, I have chosen poetry and fairy tales, to capture their combined interest.

My next choice will be reading on the internet, for all materials are read.

smile.

Any suggestions
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand some adults might get offended if you bring in too much material that seems geared towards children. Just because their English level is low, doesn't mean that they will be interested in the same material as children who are learning to read.
Another poster has this website that may have some materials that are more age appropriate to your students.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jeremytaylor/

Don't forget when you are teaching reading to have some good lead in activities to introduce the topic, some good comprehension and discussion questions for the students to work on together, and try to predict ahead of time which words will be unfamilliar to your students, and how you will go about dealing with that vocabulary.

With some of my adult classes, I like to use penguin readers of books that have already been made into movies. That way we can read a little of the book, discuss it, clear up any confusion, and then watch the movie clip.

Last edited by Celeste on Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.smallbytes.com
Norm Ryder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reading for beginners Reply with quote

For adult learners, sometimes commercial advertising material can be interesting to start with, although it doesn't give you much scope for graded development.
If you're living in an English-speaking country, the material can obviously be very practical; and if you're not, you can pick "commercials" that offer your students a bit of cultural contrast and curiosity.

If you don't have easy access to English language magazines or journals you might have to get some kind friend to keep you supplied, or even to send you bundles of promotional material from their local merchants. Or maybe you could even find something on the net.

Or does that all seem a bit too crass for what you are trying to offer your learners Rolling Eyes ? Anyway, let's know how you're getting on.

Norm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maltezer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: newspapers Reply with quote

Hi

Take a look at www.english-to-go.com based on Reuters news and complete with Teachers' Notes.

It used to be completely free but unfortunately not so anymore but they still have some Sample lessons for free. May be more inspiring than just reading for reading's sake.

I find the occasional lesson from this site certainly makes a change for both the students and me!
ezdoes34

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Adult learning/ reading/ comprehension Reply with quote

Thank You All for your gracious tips. I have learned much from my students, as the classes progress I pick up tips on what I need....upon reading your suggestions, I concur that my tips are not far fetched for you All have made similar suggestions.

Once again, thank you for the support.

Ez
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: