How do you pronounce google, little, marble, angel etc?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cftranslate

How do you pronounce google, little, marble, angel etc?

Post by cftranslate » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:30 am

In the Spanish page with info on Google they say it is pronounced as
guguel

which reminds me that I have always pronounced endings such as in 'little', 'marble', etc as /litall//marball//angall/...

In other words how do you native speakers pronounce Google

1. /googall/

2. /googearl/

3.Other way

Same with little, etc??

Thanks

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:25 pm

The vowel sound at the end is the schwa.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:34 am

I've heard that sound described as a "syllabic L". It has less of a vowel sound for me than a schwa.

revel

That "l"....

Post by revel » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:11 pm

Hey all!

When I say those words I turn on my vocal chords just a little before rasining the tip of my tongue up to close off the flow of vibration. I guess it could be called a schwa or symbolized with such, its length depends on the sound preceding it, in the case of the voiced "g" in Google it seems to be a bit longer, while in the case of the unvoiced "t" which ends up being a "d", there is little more there and a nice tongue flap that I wish I could produce rapidly in succession to imitate the Spanish "rr" that I pronounce poorly.

I've heard this called "unaccented last sylable" but don't remember if that came from theatre voice lessons or from something I read when I was researching linguistics back in the 80's.

All of these words would serve as rhyme or near-rhyme in any poem, for example, meaning that they have a nice clear similarity in pronunciation.

Hope my spelling hasn't been too painful....

peace,
revel.

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:35 am

In my accent the vowel in the final syllable is so short I'm not sure it qualifies even as a schwa. The final l is what is sometimes known as "dark" i.e. pronounced at the back of the mouth.