When everything else fails...

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Metamorfose

When everything else fails...

Post by Metamorfose » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:35 pm

I know that there are implications in saying I have been to London and I was in London, good, we can explain it, we can resort to other examples so that our pupils will eventually catch the nuances of the language much farther than explaning when to use the article 'a' instead of 'an'.

But when do you nod your head, shake your arms look at that specific students who keeps asking the reasons 'why' and say 'it's only because English is like this'?

Many colleagues of mine tell their students straightforthly this, as if they were afraid of any deeper explanation and yet waist too much time explaning something that first place can be difficult for the pupils, 'you can'
t handle the truth'. But sometimes students are left hopeless, wishing something else, I used to be this kind of student ( I mean, I still am). Some people say you can learn English better if you accpet the language as it is, what do you have to say about it?

José

Metamorfose

Post by Metamorfose » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Sorry people this was menat for the applied linguistics forum, not here, please don't take it into consideration. :cry:

José