Compiling a "10 good reasons for learning English"

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MelancholicallyHappy

Compiling a "10 good reasons for learning English"

Post by MelancholicallyHappy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:45 pm

Sawasdee guys and gals

I am trying to compile a list of 10 (really) good lessons for learning English for my students. What I am hoping for is contributions and worthy arguments as to the pro's of learning English now and how it will benefit them in later life. I think that this would be a good topic for all the teachers here to contribute towards and hopefully we will end up with a lot more than 10 good reasons

So here goes, I have thought of 4 good reasons so far, in no particular order, contributions and comments are welcome and please feel welcome to add/edit my reasons

(1) That English is an international language of business and although Chinese may well be spoken by more people, English is spoken by more countries as a second language

(2) That by speaking English, they will more likely to able to meet and communicate with more foreigners from other countries and enhance their world view as well as making friends

(3) The internet is predominantly English and that learning English will enhance their enjoyment and offer them a wider range of sites to collate information from

(4) Learning English will open up the world of classic English (written) literature which will help broaden their minds and offer them insights to other cultures and their history

I look forward to reading your contributions and the reasoning behind them

MH

PS I did originally post this on Ajarn.com but in 24 hours received only 1 reply which congratulated me on the thread (thanking you) but then went on to suggest the topic may be overtaken by other people expressing their dissatisfaction with the thai schools, teachers, students, parents contribution. I am not looking for the negatives of teaching here, I only care to hear the positives and benefits of learning English that we can offer our students in Thailand

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:01 pm

When we ask our students why they are taking English they say things like: to help thier kids with thier homework and to get a good job.

Some other reasons: Most of the proffessional literature is in English. So people looking to advance in thier current proffessions should learn English.
The reason of being able to talk to foreigners can really be split into talking to foreigners at home and when traveling. Also here in mexico there is a lot of TV, music, etc. in English.

gmateos79

another reason

Post by gmateos79 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:40 pm

At least in Spain, your curriculum must say : intermediate level of English or advanced level, depending on the job.

English is clearly demanded in the labour market and essential to progress in your work if the businesses are across Europe!!!