A good online ESL level test

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

trebor

A good online ESL level test

Post by trebor » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:44 am

Dear all

Do you know of any good online ESL level tests? I'm looking for several options for my college in Colombia.

I have tried the level test at www.englishmaze.com . I like this test a lot due to its interactive nature and the fact that General English and Business English students have their own separate test. My students also liked the test.

But I need a few other options - ie, online tests provided by other sites as well. The English Maze test is excellent, but it doesn't for example test academic English or ESP.

Any feedback/ideas would be welcome.

Regards

bobs12

Post by bobs12 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:28 am

Hi trebor,

I think online ESP tests would be pretty hard to come by. Is there any specific reason that you're looking for an online test? I'm guessing you want to cut down on marking time ;)

I'm working on an online testing system that would allow teachers to customise and save their own tests, create random tests from a bank of answers, narrow down the level or specify the type of grammar/vocabulary etc.

It's a long way from finished, I'm really just putting together the specification at the moment, but if you have any ideas I'd like to hear them!

In the meantime, you could try MacMillan's site Reward site, or have you tried www.english-test.net?

trebor

Post by trebor » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:47 am

Hi Bob

Thanks for your thoughts. I have tried the MacMillan test, but I don't rate it as highly as the English Maze level test.

I'd be interested to see your test when you've finished it.

Keep me posted

With best regards

Trebor