Using Literature in the EFL classroom

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

fu1985

read lit from stylistics using Newberry

Post by fu1985 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:41 am

last year i helped one of my teachers in writing some papers concerning Newberry winners to assist the EFl in China for secondary students. for i am specializing in stylistics for my MA. i wrote 3 papers in this regard.. i think it is fun to drag one chapter for students to do the intensive reading and find out the grammatical characteritics, of course, the precondition is that the tutor should get some knowledge about stylistics. and Newberry's language is simple and easy to understand. that is a good approach to start with.

Conzie The Magnificent

Post by Conzie The Magnificent » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi,

This seems like a great thread with lots of potential - but is there anyway that someone can post up some of the bibliographies previously mentioned or perhaps give a few authors who can be googled?

Thanks

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Conzie, I haven't participated in this thread or (therefore) received any of the bibliographies/references alluded to, but one place to start might be with Ronald Carter (at Nottingham Uni, and an author or editor of many books, especially from Routledge, and Cambridge University Press); he seems quite into using and analyzing literature. (Apologies if you've heard of him already).
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/English/Peo ... ald.carter

Then, there's Mick Short, who with Geoffrey Leech co-wrote Style in Fiction: A Linguistic Introduction to English Fictional Prose (Longman/Pearson). They're based at Lancaster.

This thread might also be of interest:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... 1832#41832

aprillove20

Post by aprillove20 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:43 pm

By the way, do you have access to online academic journals via a university or college?