CA Certification and where to begin

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

delivronra

CA Certification and where to begin

Post by delivronra » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:39 pm

I'm a recent graduate, and my undergrad studies were in TESOL. I've been overseas teaching for the last six months, but I'm ready to head home. My undergrad prepared me more for overseas teaching, so I have no idea where to start for certification in the States. I'll be living in CA and would like to teach in the public schools. From my internet reading I can't make heads or tails of the CLAD or the BCLAD or the CELTA. I do not have my CA certification nor am I bilingual. So where should I start? Apparently my undergrad degree is not enough!

eldteacher

CA Certification

Post by eldteacher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:22 am

In brief, you need a multiple subject teaching credential with CLAD for elementary school, a single subject teaching credential with CLAD for 7-12 grades, and a master's degree or higher in TESOL, linguistics, English or related areas for community college and higher. Contact the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for details. It is not a direct and easy path but it is certainly worth it. Good luck.

tsulu

The ABC's of getting in.

Post by tsulu » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:02 pm

First you will need to take the CBEST test. It is a simple little test. I compare it to the High School Exit Exam. Next you would have to enroll in a teacher credentialling program. In order to teach ESL at the jr. high or high school, you would have to hold a CA credentail in English which means taking the CSET for English. There are sample tests at the CSET website. For elementary, you will need to take the CSET for Multiple Subject as well at the RICA (reading) test. Currently, in California, there is not as much need for elementary teachers as there is for high School or higher education teachers.
For higher education, you would need to have an MA or higher. There is a GREAT need at this level, but mostly part-time for ESL and full time for everything else. Look on line at the College Job boards.
Questions? Email me: tsulu at hotmail.