How to make citations

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

nfh

How to make citations

Post by nfh » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 am

Hello,

I'm writing a paper and would like to know how should I refer to a book when I have citations from several parts of a book.
As I have some exact quotations, I need to refer to the pages of the book where I took the quotations. Now my question is if I should have an entry on my reference list for each different set of pages, or if I should only use one single entry for every citations using the lowest and the highest page number of the used page sets.

Just for your information, I'm using the APA citation style.

Best regards,
Norberto

moonchild7903

Post by moonchild7903 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:54 am

In text citations are usually made as you use the information in your text. If you paraphrased from several parts of the book, all you need is to write the author's name and the year (Author, xxxx).

Page numbers are necessary only for direct quotations: (Author, year, pxx) or (Author, year, pp xxx-xxx).

Remember that in APA style, all referenced items should be cited in text and vice versa. Hope I was able to help.

It might also help to check out the APA website.

I'm not sure if I have the APA documentation style on my computer. I will look for it, and you may pm me your e-mail address so I could sent it to you once I find it. Good luck on your paper!

nfh

Post by nfh » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:41 am

Thank you for your answer.
My main issue was really choosing the book reference "style" to use when quoting from several parts of the book.
So by what you said if I quote from several parts of a book I only have to mention the book name once and without page numbers.