Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL - certificate or masters? Advice needed please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetlag

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: TEFL - certificate or masters? Advice needed please Reply with quote

I'm looking for some advice. Hope someone can help me.

I'm from England and last year graduated with a degree in English Literature. I'm currently living in Japan where I'm teaching English in a Senior High School as part of the JET programme. I've decided that I want to pursue a career in TEFL, but I'm not sure what is the best way to go about doing it.

I don't have any certification in TEFL (the JET programme only requires a degree), but I will have 2 years teaching experience when I return to the UK. Obviously I need to do some sort of further study in the area and I've been researching the idea of doing a Masters in TEFL when I return home.

I just wanted to ask anybody who has experience in the TEFL field whether this is a sensible move in terms of improving my chances of getting a (better) job or whether I would be wasting my time and money when I could just do a regular TEFL course. And if I should just do a TEFL course then what is the best one to do?

Also, if anybody could provide me with any recommendations of the best places to study a Masters degree in TEFL in the UK. I'm originally from the North of England, but I am willing to relocate when I return. I've done some research on the internet, but would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: