TEFL - certificate or masters? Advice needed please

<b> Forum for teachers and administrators of IEP programs </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jetlag

TEFL - certificate or masters? Advice needed please

Post by jetlag » Sat May 21, 2005 11:46 am

I'm looking for some advice. Hope someone can help me.

I'm from England and last year graduated with a degree in English Literature. I'm currently living in Japan where I'm teaching English in a Senior High School as part of the JET programme. I've decided that I want to pursue a career in TEFL, but I'm not sure what is the best way to go about doing it.

I don't have any certification in TEFL (the JET programme only requires a degree), but I will have 2 years teaching experience when I return to the UK. Obviously I need to do some sort of further study in the area and I've been researching the idea of doing a Masters in TEFL when I return home.

I just wanted to ask anybody who has experience in the TEFL field whether this is a sensible move in terms of improving my chances of getting a (better) job or whether I would be wasting my time and money when I could just do a regular TEFL course. And if I should just do a TEFL course then what is the best one to do?

Also, if anybody could provide me with any recommendations of the best places to study a Masters degree in TEFL in the UK. I'm originally from the North of England, but I am willing to relocate when I return. I've done some research on the internet, but would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks in advance.