turning homework pages into speaking work

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

joe_doufu

turning homework pages into speaking work

Post by joe_doufu » Thu May 12, 2005 6:24 am

Hi, I'm a cram school teacher in Korea and I'm trying to find ways of creating speaking activities with my textbooks. We have a random assortment of books including "Smile", "Get Real", and "Backpack" series, none of them with teachers' editions. A lot of the pages are clearly intended for homework, e.g. fill-in-the-blanks and matching exercises. I'm looking for suggestions for how to create on-the-spot speaking/listening exercises from material that was designed to be done on paper.

For example, I'll sometimes ask them to "Make a sentence using [new vocab word]". I want to have fun activities, but not just play Bingo or Hangman the whole time. Your suggestions please!

Lliana

Post by Lliana » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:49 pm

Hi.
I'd like to help but I need some help from you too. Can you give me some examples from your textbooks, i.e. exercises you want to change into listening/speaking ones? I think I have "Smile" somewhere here. I'll try to find it. There are many ideas but I need a stimulus to start thinking! BTW, how old are your students? And... what's a cram school teacher?
Oops, I've just remembered. Is "Get Real" the one by Macmillan? I'm sure I've seen it in onestopenglish.com. There's quite a lot of helping material in this site as far as your coursebook is concerned. I'll have a look later and let you know.

Liana

Lliana

Post by Lliana » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:07 pm

It's getrealenglish.com. You click on FREE and it leads you to registering to onestopenglish (I don't know if you're already registered). You do that and then you can use the Free Resources section. I can see material for Get Real 1 and 2.

Liana