M.T.I & V.I

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

call-centertrainer

M.T.I & V.I

Post by call-centertrainer » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:51 am

Dear all,
This query was earlier posted in APPLIED LINGUISTICS but there was no response. I am loosing my sleep over the acronyms M.T.I & V. I . By the way MTI stands for Mother tongue Influence & V.I stands for Vernacular Influence. Some one please tell me what they are? I haven't found anything about these two abbreviations.
Thank You

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:02 pm

Mother tongue influence is better known as "interference". There is a theory that your first language "interferes" with expressing yourself in other languages. For instance taking the grammatical structure from your first language and using it in the target language. In English I would say "the blue car", in Spanish this would be said "the car blue". "Interference" is expressing and interpreting things using your first language. Some say "interference" doesn't really exist but is more of just a feeling from the student that their mother tongue is interfering. I think it is not as big of a problem as people think, once you identify the real culprit.

"Interference" is a big frustration for many teachers who recognize where a student is using their first language structure to express themselves in the target language. What they don't realize is that you often cannot "correct" this "mistake" since it is not a mistake but merely ignorance of knowledge in the target language. What is often described as "interference" is in reality just an indication that the learner has not yet fully acquired that structure in the target language. The use of the first language structure, or what some call "interference", will disappear as the learner acquires more of the target language.

Vernacular influence is the same thing. However, I have not seen these terms used very much at all. The most popular way to refer to this idea is interference.