Reference Book

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mjohncoady

Reference Book

Post by mjohncoady » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:32 am

I apologize for veering slightly off topic but I could use some advice and the readers here are the most likely people to be able to advise.

I recently (last year) began voluteering for the local literacy network, tutoring immigrants to the area in basic English. Although I find that that I typically know how to say something, I often to not recall the grammatical rule that would permit my students to export the lesson to other situations. I sometimes stumble onto the rules in the different texts available through the organization but I would like to acquire a quality reference book of American English grammar. I have done some preliminary research, which suggests A Grammar Book: An ESL/EFL Teacher Course by Marianne Celce-Murcia. I would appreciate both opinions on the ability of this book to meet my needs and suggestions of other books that might do. :D

joshua2004

Re: Reference Book

Post by joshua2004 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:58 pm

mjohncoady wrote: I would appreciate...opinions on the ability of this book to meet my needs...
Most students lose excitement at learning English once they try to understand rules of English. If you feel the need to give them the most of your time with them, try and pack as many useful expressions and other material that they can use immediately. Have a list of questions set up in different topics(restaurant, introductions, directions, golfing, anything!), number them and read them aloud and have them try to identify, by number, which question you asked. Then move gently into responding with a few words.

People often suggest using forms and applications for people who are immigrants would have to know how to fill out. And anything you can think of that would be useful to their immediate needs. This doesn't mean it can't be fun and interesting materials.