3 articles to read before starting To Kill a Mockingbird

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

donnach

3 articles to read before starting To Kill a Mockingbird

Post by donnach » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:43 pm

I have an assigment to find three expository articles that relate to a core text. I am not a teacher yet, but thought TKAM would be a good core text and then get some articles on the usual: The Depression, racism in the South in the 1930's, and maybe women's roles in the 1930's in the South.

Well, easier--much easier--said than done! I went to the library to learn how to use SIRS Researcher and EBSCO Magazine Database and have been mucking around for hours yesterday and today trying to find articles for students to read.

I am questioning what my creative leeway will actually be when I do become a teacher if things are this difficult off the bat. (These are well-known and extremely common topics we're talking about here!)

Am I not doing EBSCO or SIRS searches correctly? Are databases even the right tack to take?

What do you seasoned teachers use to bring in supplemental activities for your students?

I want to be able to be creative in this aspect, and I already feel like I'm being hemmed in as far as what's available; weird way to feel when I usually feel the opposite--that the Internet has opened up so many opportunities for knowledge and understanding for me.

Thank you,

Donna