nursing college - mixed levels - no time for hw - - text?

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mesmark

nursing college - mixed levels - no time for hw - - text?

Post by mesmark » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:26 am

I started at a nursing college here in Japan this year. The books we're currently using are, for lack of stronger words, abysmally loathed by myself. The conversations are too long with no main theme other than they really try to sound natural. No speaking exercises. No writing exercises. No fun. No help to the students.

I'm left with a spine I don't like ...and have to make the entire body.

I'm wondering if anyone can lead me to a good conversational textbook for nursing students. Some of the students' English is excellent and a few can't answer to "How are you." I'm looking to shoot a bit above false beginner level. English is viewed as important, but I can't really give them too much homework.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

M.Hull

Dialogues for nurses and medical professionals

Post by M.Hull » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:53 am

Hi! I have a workbook called Dialogues and Readings that is career-specific: designed specifically for the kind of class you are thinking of. Please visit my website, www.nursingesl.com and click on the Products page.

Happy to help if I can...........
Melodie Hull
Canada

Don McChesney

Post by Don McChesney » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:09 am

Hi,
I have just replied to one on nursing training in Thailand, some of the info may be of use.
Start simple, find out the knowledge level of students, group them accordingly if you can, and have fun. Role play in two's or fours is important, use the best students to set an example, then work down to the poorer ones. If you use 4 students, one becomes spokesperson, next time round, another, and so on, so all get a go. This increases skills for each of them, listening and speaking, and encourages co-operation, vital in nursing.
Most books seem to be poor. I use my own knowledge, and what I know from teaching anyway. Nursing is communication on a social level, as well as medical terminology and usage.

joyatctu

Nursing

Post by joyatctu » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:33 am

Hi,

As Don said he replied to my cry for help. I found his suggestions gave my confidence. It has been challenging, but I am nearing the end of my first semester.

I found that the nurses know all the medical terms as they are the same in Thai as English, so I ran with this. Teaching them the everyday words so that they could communicate with the patient. Lots of fun with my Snakes and Ladders board and creating different challenge cards for each situation. Giving directions, physiotherapy, doing an assessment etc. I have found going to the clinic room and getting them to practise procedures on each other using English was fun too.

Basically get them thinking the situation, give them some language and then play games practising it. Sound familiar. My celta teachers may not appreciate the simplicity then again maybe they would, but I have found it works.

It sure is an experience though, isn't it? I keep thinking I will have heaps to bore my grandchildren with. My dad makes his life stories fun though, so I hope I can do the same. God be with you.
Joy

ianmlee

Post by ianmlee » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:23 am

hello all. My name is Ian Lee and I am an English lawyer living and workng in Bangkok.

Together with my Australian co-Director, we are very shortly opening a 'boot camp' near Chiang Mai for Thai (and other Nationality) Nurses, for intensive preparation for the CGFNS exam, especially the TOEFL component. This poor spoken English is the huge weakness of Thai Nurses.

On graduation after about 4 months, the Nurses will be fast-tracked into Californian Hospitals- we have our own office in LA.

If anyone would like to discuss this with me please mail me at [email protected] or phone 0066-16129021.

Thanks,
Ian