Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anthology of British literature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shidifu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Anthology of British literature Reply with quote

Hello

I'm trying to put together an anthology of 20th century British literature.

Its for a class of Chinese University English Majors. The aim for them is to learn something about British history and culture, while at the same time develop an awareness of literary styles and techniques.

I'm hoping to look at different themes and historical events in each lesson. The more relevant to today the better

I've already got some stuff by Hardy(victorian morality) D.H. Lawrence (working class life, domestic violence and oedipus), Huxley(abuses of science, genetics etc) and Orwell ( war on terror, privacy ).

I'd really like to include some war poetry, something about racism and religious tolerance, something with alot of bad language would be interesting and drug abuse might be a good subect if it show both sides of the experience.

I'm not really a big reader of British Literature, so if you have any suggestions for poetry, short stories, novels, biographies, plays etc,
They'll be more than much appreciated.

Cheers Steve
xyb

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Martin Luther King's I have a dream
it's about racial discrimination, and reffers to the background of the American Civil War and the American Slavery.
sbourque

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World War I poetry:
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/projects/jtap/tutorials/intro/

Also, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, published in 2000, won several awards.

Look at http://www.bibliomania.com/0/5/frameset.html
for some examples of Oscar Wilde's dramas.
takakenjisakai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Dear Prof.Steven, in my opinion you should know that in China it's not very easy to teach the native students to understand some literary works of modernism, so i suggest that you should at first give them a serious introduction about the various schools of modernism for at least two months with each months at least containing two lessons' time. Wink
may you get success! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: