Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stress and rhthym - teaching Chinese students.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darimana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: stress and rhthym - teaching Chinese students..... Reply with quote

sentence stress, linking and rhthym - teaching Chinese students.....

any suggestions?
xantarcx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese students? They speak with very weird stress like singing.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: stress and rhthym - teaching Chinese students..... Reply with quote

darimana wrote:
sentence stress, linking and rhthym - teaching Chinese students.....

any suggestions?

Sorry I missed this the first time. Are your students Mandarin or Cantonese speakers? There are different problems with each from what I have seen.
rainbluesky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though xantarcx has said that Chinese students speak with very weird stress like singing, I suppose there are still some useful skills.

First, students should be instructed some basic knowledge about the special features about the English language, such as stress and rhythym.

Second, students are encouraged to do plenty of imitation of some autitary materials read by native speakers after class. I hope no one could deny me that there is no short cut in learning a foreign language. Very Happy

Third, teachers should be patient in class to check every student's pronunciation and try to help them.

Exclamation DO NOT always expect your students to speak English as well as natives, because even some natives have their own accents Laughing . Therefore, the most important thing for teachers is to train students' confidence to speak English besides the skills.

Hope to hear your ideas!
peter1997

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: comment:stress and rhthym - teaching Chinese students..... Reply with quote

I don't agree with xantarcx at all when he announced that Chinese students speak with weird stress. There are always learners who need improvement. And there are so many Chinese students speak with native-like pronunciation, to my knowledge. There is no way in speaking with national prejudice for improvement in discussion.
I think Lorikeet is right in saying that we need make sure whether the prospect student is Mandarin or Cantonese speaker. There are even more typical Chinese dialectical area which all play a role in influencing the learners pronunciation, and thus beneficial for the teacher to take such a part into consideration.
CEJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pronunciation comes along apace with other language development. In terms of where their native language leaves them with to learn English, they have less difficulty, overall, with stress and rhythm than some other language groups. I certainly don't think their accent is any weirder than any other. Incidentally, a psycho-socially real model for many might be Singaporan or Hong Kong English (though if they look down on such English it would be because of the popular belief in US and UK English).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: