Pronunciation for More Advanced Students

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

pat17

Pronunciation for More Advanced Students

Post by pat17 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:09 pm

Hello all! I am a relatively new teacher and I have a new student who is more advanced than any I have taught before.

I am wondering if there are special techniques used to teach pronunciation to more advanced students.

Also, at this level should there be more error correction since fluency isn't as much of an issue?

Are there any texts made specifically for this purpose?

He stated improving his pronunciation and reducing his accent as his major goals. He is very easy to understand and speaks with few errors. I would greatly appreciate any advice :D

EH

Post by EH » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:26 pm

With more advanced students you can explain more about tongue position, etc. Basically you can be more explicit about explaining exactly where their errors lie. But otherwise it's about the same regardless of language level.

With an advanced student, try looking online for more resources concerning Accent Modification and Accent Reduction instead of just "pronunication". There are a few threads here on Dave's on this subject as well.

Good luck!
-EH