Cultural appropriacy of generic EFL textbooks -

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

If English textbooks were available written specifically for your culture would you prefer to use them?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4

helen

Cultural appropriacy of generic EFL textbooks -

Post by helen » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:08 am

Hi,
I am writing a university dissertation on cultural appropriacy of generic EFL materials.

I would appreciate comments from any (especially non-native speaking) teachers of English in non-English speaking countries about the core textbook(s) they use.

What is the name of the core book/series?
Who selected the book?
What age range/level do you use the books for?
In which country do you teach?

Does the book conflict culturally in any way with the country in which you are teaching?

Are there any specific chapters/texts/activities which you feel are inappropriate or in conflict with the culture of the country in which you teach and if so how? -

Many thanks in advance

Helen.

P.S. As I say I am a university student and will be writing a dissertation on the subject, so would also appreciate knowing whether anyone would be willing to be contacted for further discussion on the subject. - I am particularly interested in contacting Turkish English teachers.

Dave M

Your poll doesn't seem to work

Post by Dave M » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:40 am

Hi

I clicked on 'No' in your poll, but for some reason doesn't seem to work. I'm not a non-native English speaker.

Regards

Dave M

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:59 am

Heh. I tried to see if it worked, and cast a "no" on the poll. So you don't have to try to cast it again, Dave M. I didn't really want to vote.

Rawgreenpower
Location: South Korea, Montreal,Ottawa,San Francisco, Washington DC, Dar es Salaam, Caribbean.

appropriate or not

Post by Rawgreenpower » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:11 am

Hi,,

I have noticed in building curriculla for othr cutures -- there seems to be a real lack of pick up - or ability to comprehend without this element.