new series: Top Notch

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

emilyrosemead

new series: Top Notch

Post by emilyrosemead » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:58 am

Has anyone heard of the new series, "Top Notch?" It's due out in Jan.

My textbook rep is recommending it -- it's supposed to be highly visual with fun topics like karaoke.

There is a group of "friends" that students get to know . . .

Levels are 1-6. It sounds good to me, but I'm afraid to order a brand new series . . .

Any suggestions?

Has anyone heard of this series or know anything about the authors?

snroman

Top Notch

Post by snroman » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:56 pm

I had the very same question, Emily! Very frustrating! I was looking for a textbook for Spanish-speaking high school ESL students--Top Notch sounded good but I couldn't ever get a hold of it and no one knows it so I decided against ordering it! I ordered American Headway, which was not ideal but has some good qualities (good listening activities, resource book, attractive and relatively uncluttered presentation)...but I'd LOVE to find a conversational ESL book aimed at immigrant students in the US. There are some good "content area" textbooks like Visions and Shining Star, but my kids are so worn out with their content area classes and what I really want to work on them with is practical "real life" English that they will feel motivated to learn and use. I want the book to be fun for them! Did you ever get any more info. about Top Notch? What did you end up ordering?

Superhal

Post by Superhal » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:52 am

Post up a link and I'll take a look at it. I can't find it through google or amazon.

snroman

Top Notch

Post by snroman » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:09 pm

I saw it advertised through alta. that's at altaesl.com.

Superhal

Post by Superhal » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:05 pm

I looked at their sample chapter. Imho, this is SOS: the Same Ol' Stuff.

I would put it about the same level as the abortive "Internet English."

The exercises do nothing different than any exercise that has come before. The input is flasy, however it's not supported in any way, shape or form. The density of the exercises (how many exercises per page) will present problems for most teachers, as I would guesstimate one page of the book will take less than 20 minutes of class time to go through. The discussion questions and grammar explanations are pretty much cut and paste.