What Textbook for Private English lessons in Japan?

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

angelasaeki

What Textbook for Private English lessons in Japan?

Post by angelasaeki » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:50 pm

Hello everyone, I really hope you can help me ASAP! What textbook would you recommend for private tutoring of a 21 year old Japanese guy who has studied ESL in the US for 1 year? He is back in Japan for 2-3 months on summer break and wants to meet 1 hour every other day to improve his English. I had planned on using Side by Side but now I am reconsidering based on some negative reviews. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Our first private lesson is on July 1st and I really would like to be prepared as this is my first private student in Japan! Also do you have any tips to making learning fun? Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by angelasaeki on Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iann

Best ESL text for Japan

Post by iann » Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:40 am

Hi, the best I have found for that type of student is at
http://eslgames.com/edutainment/

and the best game is at

http://eslgames.com/wordup/

With those two I have every student older than 12 covered, they are GREAT tools ; )

scot

Post by scot » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:12 am

i really like side by side for low levels, but only groups. its a little boring for one on one. and if he lives in the usa its probablly to slow. your better off making a workshop style course focusing on his needs and wants. start photocopying those online lessons!

Eigo-Mike

Post by Eigo-Mike » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:01 pm

What did you decide on in the end? And what do you do now?