Observations by senior teachers (research)

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Volga_05

Observations by senior teachers (research)

Post by Volga_05 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:52 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm doing an independent research project on classroom observations by senior teachers. It's about how observed teachers' thoughts about being observed may prove useful for the design of the observation process itself.

The problem I'm facing is that from my admittedly brief review of the literature so far, it seems that there is a lack of research into this particular issue (i.e. feedback from teachers into the observation process and what observers may draw from this feedback). Hence my question - can anybody who has done anything similar advise me on relevant literature? Any names/articles would do, because I need to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:55 pm

I think it was in "what to look for in the classroom and other essays" by Alfie Kohn where he outlined key parts to successful observations of teachers. An important part stressed was that the observer did not point out all the critsisms of the teacher, but let the teacher ask for specific observations on specific points and that was all that the observing teacher would talk about.
Having observed my first teachers this week I can tell you, IMHO, it is much more progressive to focus on the teachers strengths. There is always a million things you could point out that the teacher "could" have done or could have done differently.
Its like teaching a kid to ride a bike. If you continue telling her what she is doing wrong and don't give encouragement, she just may give up. (Or give up on YOU!)

Volga_05

Post by Volga_05 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:37 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply. Hopefully, the book you recommended will help me with my research. At least I can start somewhere... If you come across/remember anything else on observation/peer-observation etc. please let me know. I'm particularly interested in pros and cons of marking system or sometimes called 'quality control' observation.

Thanks again!!!

Superhal

Post by Superhal » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:27 am

Actually there's quite a bit of literature on this subject. Try "cooperative teaching." I can't recall the specific studies per se, but in general, teachers don't know how to work together. Also, I would be wary of the Hawthorne Effect. Most observations are stressful for the teacher being observed.

If this is for evaluation purposes, I don't think observations is a good method to use. At least, it shouldn't be the sole determiner of a teacher's ability.