Is pronunciation important?

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Norm Ryder

You say "frosted" and I say "iced"

Post by Norm Ryder » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:05 am

Thanks, Marta. It's good to know that, like Fred Astaire, I haven't yet got to the stage of having to say "Let's call the whole thing off" :!: :)

Norm

mynameismartin

pronunciation ? accent?

Post by mynameismartin » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:55 am

I teach English to Korean kids (from 4 to 13 years old). I have an "accent" when I speak. What accent???? French is my first language. I learned English in British Columbia with Canadians, Australians, and French Canadians who wanted to learn english...In my travels I spoke English with Germans, Italians, British, Mexicans, Americans, etc... :D

What is the difference between "pronunciation" and "accent"? Is it possible to have the "good" pronunciation and still have an "accent"?

I wasn't really aware of the situation in Korea when I started teaching, 5 months ago. When I realised that being a "native" speaker was so important to them (the parents) I wanted to quit!!! But "native" speakers reassured me: "Don't worry, your English is good...etc..." But, I sometimes feel like an imposter as I am supposed to be hired as a "native" speaker...??? :oops: What does it mean to be "native", anyway? :?

Why do Korean parents want their kids to speak English? The answers are always vague... :?

I believe it is really important for the kids to hear the good pronunciation (rice and not lice) especially when they are young, but I aslo agree that they should hear many "accents", as much more people speak English as a "second" language than as their mother tongue in today's world...They should also learn that all the "white" people don't necessarily speak English, and that some Asian people speak better English than "native" speakers...

Isn't it more important to be understood, than copying the nasal american accent on the audiotape I use?

So many questions!!!! Any answers???

Language is a living thing and it is always in movement...

I wish this "lingua franca" will help people to understand each other on this little planet... :D

dduck

Post by dduck » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:54 pm

Hi Martin,

You are not alone. I'm white and a native speaker, but I'm not north american, so some schools have turned me down as soon as they learned where on the planet I come from. :( You'll probably find that students aren't able to discern where you come from - it's quite an advanced skill to be able to hear different accents, even the big differences between stereotypical Scottish, English and Welsh speakers. Some of the recordings I've listened to are truely awful! ;)

The trouble stems from employers who suffer from the misconception that there is only one English, and one accent. People like that are very narrow minded and in most cases there isn't a cure! If the worst comes to the worst, you just have to move on and search for a more enlightened employer. C'est la vie!

Iain

mynameismartin

Post by mynameismartin » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:15 am

Thank's Iain! :D
Yes, c'est la vie!
Martin