MOVING TO TURKEY

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

KATIE BIRD

MOVING TO TURKEY

Post by KATIE BIRD » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Hi,
I will be spending a great deal of time in Istanbul and am looking for ways to make a living there.
My language is English, I’m a young 54yr old male.
I have taught before so I wondered about teaching English in Turkey, but really don’t know if it is a practical idea.
I would appreciate any ideas, directions, experiences or just plan advise as far as what, how and why.
Thank you

Tom Ninelivezzz, 6 of 9=3
Aboard the Motor Yacht: B'Leevn in Ninelivezzz.

tonetrippen

Post by tonetrippen » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi Tom

I worked in Bursa Turkey for 2 years, not far from Istanbul. Istanbul would be a much better place to live. Officially you have to have a university degree to work in Turkey but I did not at the time and it might still be possible to get registered as a lab assistant, lab rat or some such thing to teach English.

The problem is that you have to apply for a work visa from your country of origin. I had to travel back to Canada, apply with the Turkish embassey there and wait there for two months before coming back. There was a time when a guy or gal could just hop over to Bulgary to sample a few suds there for a week and then come back with the requirement but that is no longer the case.

The other thing that is highly illegal but might still be common is to work on a 3 month tourist visa and to renew, do the Bulgaria thing.

A contract for a teacher is usually a year and usually includes a free apartment. The only other option is to offer private lessons.

Whatever your case might be, it would be worthwhile to visit all the English schools in Istanbul. If one of them is in a panic, they will make it work. Funny what a few billion lira will do in the right persons pocket.

Hope this, at least, answers some of your questions.

Later
Antonio

KATIE BIRD

Thanks for the info

Post by KATIE BIRD » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:52 am

How well do u speak Turkish?
was it hard?
I have 2 things I can say,,,
humph!
That was not one of them,,,
sigh!
either was that one,,,
Any tips on this,,,?
Thaknu you for thaking the time to tell me ur story,,,, or further tips,,
Tom
Ninelivezzz 6 of 9=3

tonetrippen

Post by tonetrippen » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 pm

I didn't spealk any Turkish at the start and only the esentials at the end so an improvment on "bir bira" would be an "iky bira".

a tip for the hummpf and sigh...an aspirin usually works for me......
A