What does the "english for specific purposes" mean

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

inem

What does the "english for specific purposes" mean

Post by inem » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:58 pm

Hello everyone, i have a lil problem. My teacher asked me what does the english for specific purposes mean. I need the definition. Anybody can help me, please ? :(

serendipity

Post by serendipity » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:40 pm

"English for a specific purpose" used to primarily comprise technical English - for example, technicians would be required to read and understand manuals and to write simple instructions, nurses would have to be able to understand prescriptions, engineers would have to be able to interpret datasheets - but then the concept widened in scope. These days, English for a specific purpose" refers to all levels of the language where only a fraction of general communicative ability is required within a certain context.

Dodger

ESP

Post by Dodger » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:34 pm

Excuse me, your English teacher asked you what English for Specific Purposes means?

Maybe that's what happens when you pay $5 for a "CELTA" teacher to give you an English lesson.

Or maybe your "teacher" got her CELTA degree via Adobe Photoshop!

Don McChesney

Post by Don McChesney » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:53 am

English for specific purposes or ESP needs not only social English for normal communications, but the technical language for specific occupations.
So Medical English means learning to communicate with patients, relatives, and health professionals at all levels, and to know, understand, and use medical terminology and documentations.

rryz

Post by rryz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:54 am

simple, ESP means a short language programme to prepare you with the language that you need in your daily activity. The main focus is language for communicating skill

tigertiger

Post by tigertiger » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:21 am

rryz wrote:simple, ESP means a short language programme to prepare you with the language that you need in your daily activity. The main focus is language for communicating skill
ESP - Extra Sensory Percieption - as you sometimes need to be clairevoyant during the needs analysis with some clients :( . And the ability to telekinetically transfer all the language skills from your brain to theirs in a demonstration of applying 'Instant English' (just add water). :(

As they want to become Advanced learners in 3 months, even though they are only elementary, and never do homework. :?

Real executives don't need lessons or homework :lol: :lol: :lol: