newspapers and magazines

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Brian

newspapers and magazines

Post by Brian » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:38 am

Hi there

Could you please spare 2 minutes to send me some information to help with a list I’m compiling?

I want to build a database of newspapers and magazines around the world that are of interest to English language learners.

For example, in Thailand we have:

The Bangkok Post – which has ‘The Learning Post’ supplement once a week, with vocabulary and grammar activities
The Nation – also has an education supplement
The Nation Junior – lots of language activities, produced by ‘The Nation’ for younger readers
Student Weekly – similar to ‘Nation Junior’ but made by the Bangkok Post
English World – a magazine aimed at young Thai’s studying English
City Life – a monthly English language magazine, circulated in Chiang Mai
The Pattaya Mail – a weekly English language paper
The Phuket Gazette – a weekly English language paper

(there are probably more I’m unaware of)

If you could let me know of similar publications in your part of the world, I’d be very grateful. You can post here or email me at...

[email protected]

Thanks very much for taking time to read this.

Mezzanotte

Post by Mezzanotte » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:32 pm

Hello,
in France there are lots of magazines of the kind. the most popular among them are Vocable, Go English and Today In English. any of them can be of an interest for English-learners

Brian

Post by Brian » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Thanks! Very helpful.

michael drummond

teaching resource for mid level to established students

Post by michael drummond » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:43 am

reetings,

I would like to bring to everyone's attention a very interesting and powerful resource: http://www.democracynow.org/.

What you will find is that they present a discussion of current social topics with the complete transcript in the same page.

On this site on the homepage, look on hte left column that says 'archives' and then click on 'browse archives by date'. Once there, click, for example, on May 2006, then click on Headlines for May 31, 2006. You will then find that the day's news is read with all the transcripts below...

This site's host is Amy Goodman. Her pronunciation of English is slow, clear and perfect for more advanced students...

The site is full of these transcripts and video files. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the use of this resource.

Best regards.

Michael