Anthology of British literature

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Shidifu

Anthology of British literature

Post by Shidifu » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:37 pm

Hello

I'm trying to put together an anthology of 20th century British literature.

Its for a class of Chinese University English Majors. The aim for them is to learn something about British history and culture, while at the same time develop an awareness of literary styles and techniques.

I'm hoping to look at different themes and historical events in each lesson. The more relevant to today the better

I've already got some stuff by Hardy(victorian morality) D.H. Lawrence (working class life, domestic violence and oedipus), Huxley(abuses of science, genetics etc) and Orwell ( war on terror, privacy ).

I'd really like to include some war poetry, something about racism and religious tolerance, something with alot of bad language would be interesting and drug abuse might be a good subect if it show both sides of the experience.

I'm not really a big reader of British Literature, so if you have any suggestions for poetry, short stories, novels, biographies, plays etc,
They'll be more than much appreciated.

Cheers Steve

xyb

Post by xyb » Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 am

How about Martin Luther King's I have a dream
it's about racial discrimination, and reffers to the background of the American Civil War and the American Slavery.

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Wed May 31, 2006 9:50 pm

World War I poetry:
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/projects/j ... als/intro/

Also, White Teeth by Zadie Smith, published in 2000, won several awards.

Look at http://www.bibliomania.com/0/5/frameset.html
for some examples of Oscar Wilde's dramas.

takakenjisakai

Post by takakenjisakai » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:33 pm

:roll: Dear Prof.Steven, in my opinion you should know that in China it's not very easy to teach the native students to understand some literary works of modernism, so i suggest that you should at first give them a serious introduction about the various schools of modernism for at least two months with each months at least containing two lessons' time. :wink:
may you get success! :D