Help creating materials for rural Brazilian schools

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sacia

Help creating materials for rural Brazilian schools

Post by sacia » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:47 pm

I am helping with a volunteer project in a small town in Brazil to improve English language teaching in the local schools. Aside from giving lessons to the school's English teachers (most know almost no English), I am planning to develop a series of materials for them to use in their classes starting next year. These will be for four different levels (similar to 5-8 grades in the US) and will consist of a small packet for students (so that they have to pay as little as possible, since they must buy their books) and a more detailed packet for teachers with lots of lesson ideas that require few other materials. My hope is that lessons will allow a great deal of real communication between students, will encourage a variety of group dynamics and skills practiced and, most importantly, will be related to the realities of the students. The language will be presented in a context relevant to the history and culture of their town, with stories and dialogues about topics the students already know and are interested in. They will then be asked to use new language to speak or write about themselves and their lives.

My question is whether anyone knows of some helpful books or websites that might give me some ideas for this project. I'll be writing the text, or getting help from more advanced students in the town in creating it, but would like to find more lesson ideas or methods for creating materials that would motivate youth in rural Brazil to want to learn English, that allow them to express information about their own lives based on a variety of themes.

Thanks!

TKS

Still looking?

Post by TKS » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:05 am

Hi, are you still looking for materials for your program? If so, we may be able to help you. We develop material for schools. If you are intrested, please email us: [email protected]

We look forward to your reply.