ESL class periods per week??

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

EnglishTeacher

ESL class periods per week??

Post by EnglishTeacher » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:46 pm

Dear all,

This is a great web site! I am very interested in ESL and in Inmersion programs for non english speakers in the US.

I hope that some of you can help me. I know that in Texas there are many spanish speakers attending ESL classes at school. How many ESL class periods do they receive (average) per week in the elementary and/ or middle level? and what is the lenght of those classes?

What about in the US in general? Is there eny general policy or is it a State/ District decision?

Thank you so much for your help!! :D

EthelMertz

Post by EthelMertz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:25 am

It depends on where you go and what level you are teaching.

It all varies so much.

I am not from Texas but I taught in Southern California for years. I taught 50 minute class periods at a time, and ESL had me for 2 to 3 classes. Reg. ESL was two class periods and then I taught Sheltered History to the same group of kids.

I am now in North Carolina and the high school I work in has 90 minute blocks. I teach each group for 90 minutes. I work there half the day.

I also teach at a K-8 school and do a pull out program. I pull out groups of 3-4 kids for 30-45 minutes.

It is just all so different.