Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ENGLISH FOR TOURISM TRAINING PROGRAM FOR LOCAL TOUR GUIDES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English for Specific Purposes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paisan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: ENGLISH FOR TOURISM TRAINING PROGRAM FOR LOCAL TOUR GUIDES Reply with quote

To members of esl

I am doing a research study on English for tourism training program for local tour guides in Krabi, Thailand, and I am searching for some related research studies on this topic, but there seems to be nobody does the reseach like that ( about the training program or localized curriculum of ESP). Anyone does see something about this, please let me know. Thanks.Paisan
peggy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Re:training for the local guide Reply with quote

hello,
I guess you'd like to do the research in English. Why not try to find some course books, training plans or educational curriculums designed by the local guides-training authority? Maybe such materials were written in the local language, you can just work out some principles and inner regulations for your research.
Cancun Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: English for Tour Guides Reply with quote

I went through the same problem when I started training marina tour guides here in Cancun. There's no specific literature on the subject. I even talked to a Cambridge University Press rep, and she found nothing in their catalog I could use.

All I could do was research the fundamentals for creating ESP courses, and start from scratch. In time I just took the plunge and talked to the guides themselves, listened to those who had a better grip of the language, took my notes and put it all together.

You have to consider their L2 level and educational background when designing the activities. Scheduling sessions is also an additional challenge.

To date I have accumulated some experience in a limited number of areas in Tourism, but it is always going the unbeaten path.
M.Hull

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Research Studies for ESL? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone:
You can find many, many journal articles and evidence of research on-line at the Internet TESL Journal website, http://iteslj.org.html . I think you will find what you are looking for.
Cancun, Mike... I, too taught in Cancun at one of the Tech Universities. There are many courses and workbooks available for English for Tourism and English for the Hospitality Industry, if you search. Just check with the bookstores at the universidades or ask their English Departments what they are using. Harmon Hall probably has that stuff, too, if you're interested.

Bye-bye from Canada
Melodie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English for Specific Purposes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: