Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA vs. TESOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanman

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: CELTA vs. TESOL Reply with quote

I am about to embark on this new career direction and opportunity, and I have the luxury of choice. Can anyone tell me if there is any real difference in the (domestic and overseas) marketplace between a CELTA certificate and a TESL Canada recognized TESOL certificate/diploma? I am also interested in the business English market, having worked in various businesses for years. Is either better for that? (I also have a B.A. in Communications).

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is not the appropriate forum.
Showem

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends a bit on where you are going to end up working. The CELTA program is well-recognised here in Europe, so if you are thinking of coming here, I'd look into that.
vanman

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. If I go overseas it will be to Asia or the MidEast/gulf region. I'm also interested in the domestic market (in Canada). Any knowledge, experience, or advice on those areas?
emile

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the CELTA, it's good anywhere just like a Mastercard.

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com

Last edited by emile on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
tigertiger

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA vs. TESOL Reply with quote

vanman wrote:
I am also interested in the business English market, having worked in various businesses for years. Is either better for that? (I also have a B.A. in Communications).

For business English either will do. In fact many business English trainers have no EFL/ESL qualifications. Just a corporate background.
vanman

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Nexrun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Aren't CELTA, TESOL, TEFL, TESL all basically the same ? Reply with quote

Aren't CELTA, TESOL, TEFL, TESL all basically the same?

Other than different acronyms, all these courses deal with the same basic principles don't they?
tigertiger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aren't CELTA, TESOL, TEFL, TESL all basically the same ? Reply with quote

Nexrun wrote:
Aren't CELTA, TESOL, TEFL, TESL all basically the same?

Other than different acronyms, all these courses deal with the same basic principles don't they?

From my limited knowledge,

They do deal with the same basic principles.
However the focus can differ. And some courses are more demanding than others.
None of them will fully prepare you for teaching, but the good ones give you enough to survive comfortably while you learn to be a better/effective teacher through practice.

CELTA is focussed on adult learners, some courses also have a business English element.

CELTA is probably the most recognised globally and is a Cambridge University qualification. It is an academically acredited course. Very Happy

Oxford University (I believe) do an accredited TESOL qualification, as do Universities in other countries. Very Happy

CELTA and TESOL require 120-150+ hours of study, i.e. full time residentilal for 4-6 weeks, this means there is a lot of room for teaching practice in the classroom. Very Happy

Having said that, some course providers are better than others. Confused

TEFL/TESL certificates are only as good the provider or the course you do. Sad For example there are 20 hour on-line couses with no classroom practice. Sad
There are also 120 hour courses. Smile
It is hard for a prospective employer to tell if you did a good course or a quickie, as such some employers do not like TEFL certs. Crying or Very sad

There are of course many language centres in the private sector that only require that you are a native speaker. Wink They do not ask for any language teaching certs. Confused
In the state schools it is different, they do require language teaching certificates.

The above info is, I hope, mostly correct. I hope it is helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: