class management

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:21 am

It is true that there are students who are rude and bored and want easy marks everywhere. You can't get away from that just because you go to some place new.

The administration can be difficult as well and then there are all the problems of cultural differences.

There will be problems with teachers, problems because you are who you are.

You can never get away from these but can still have fun, challenges, adventure, and pure joy.

I remember a story about a man who wanted to travel. He passed a wise man on the road and asked about the next village or town. The wise man asked him what his town was like and he described it in very negative terms. The wise man said that the next town was exactly the same so the man went home.
Another man came (why is it always men?) and the wise man asked him the same thing and he described his home town in glowing terms and said that he was sad to leave but wanted adventure. The wise man said that the next town would be full of wonderful things so the man went on.
You take yourself wherever you go and it is your attitude that makes the difference.

I wouldn't have given up any of my experiences in all the places I have taught and hope to add more names to the list on the left.

Hero

Post by Hero » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm confused about that story: If the second guy was so happy, what motivated him to leave? Adventure? Doesn't that imply that he was bored back home? Doesn't that mean that he had an attitude problem, just like the first guy?

lip420

Effective Classroom Management

Post by lip420 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:36 am

Solutions to common problems
Here's an article and a course on solutions to classroom management problems.
Last edited by lip420 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigTeacher

begin using a system.

Post by BigTeacher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Have you considered using a classroom management system?

halsto64

Post by halsto64 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Classroom management and strong instruction go hand in hand. You really cannot have one without the other. I agree with many of the advice that was given to you. One thing that I would emphasize in addition is that students need to be motivated in order to participate in daily learning activities. When you have the expectation that students will succeed, they will be more likely to have it themselves. Show them this by providing genuine, specific praise when they do well. Another way to provide motivation is to allow them to interact in the target language about thier interests. If students are talking about off topic things during instruction, perhaps you are not giving them enough opportunities during class to interact with each other. Use this to your advantage. What topics are they bringing up? Incorporate those topics into your lesson. Students will be more motivated to talk about topics of intrest to them. Once they are running with the topic, think of ways to incorporate the skills/topics/lessons you need to accomplish through their discussion of that topic.

lek72

ESL Classroom Management

Post by lek72 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 am

In order to have good classroom management, you need to make sure that your lesson is engaging. If your lesson is boring, the students would more likely messing around and not paying attention. You can use fun, interactive activities such as skits, movies, and online games.

Then, you need to make sure that you have created a safe, caring learning environment where everyone is respectful toward other people and their ideas. You also need to exercise your authority. Gain your students' respect by treating them with equal fairness. You also need to make sure that your students know and understand your expectations regarding their behavior in class. Do not humiliate your students in front of their peer--doesn't matter how frustrated or furiated you are with their misconduct. And, try to solve the problems outside of class time so that valuable class time isn't spent focusing on one student.

galmas

Post by galmas » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 pm

I think every teacher has difficulties with class management- sometimes it is one pupil (or a few) and sometimes its the whole class. I believe that the most important element in class management is interesting level appropiate materials. When pupils are board or find the materials too difficult they feel frustrated and interrupt. This is the teacher jub to make the pupils enjoyed the lesson and participate. In addition, I do not believe in punishments. Punishments do not make pupils like the subject more, but do exactly the opposite. When the whole class is not interesting in the materials, it is my fault- I dont use them anymore. If there is only one pupil who interrup, I try to find out WHY!!!! In most cases I have found out that the reason has nothing to do with English, and we try to work it out. I usually tell that pupil that he/she is my assistant, and give him small assignments during the lessons. That motivate the pupil most of the time, and reduce the numbers of interruptions.

KatrinaB88

class management

Post by KatrinaB88 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi
Students need to know what to expect, so first thing set expectations from day one, minute one. You need to have a class agreement, so come up with the rules of the class together and stick with them. When students break the rules and disrupt the class use traffic lights, yellow/red cards or names on the board, 3 strikes and you are out etc and stick with it always. Always carry through on the classroom rules. Get assistance from your colleagues/mentors and better still work for a consistent approach to discipline throughout your whole school.

Hope this helps.

ardieBaia

Here's how we help promote good behaviour!

Post by ardieBaia » Fri May 16, 2014 12:20 am

The Star chart and english market at our school works really well, view the link to see pictures and explanation :

http://mrsbaiasclassroom.blogspot.kr/20 ... t-and.html

Happy teaching!