Pen pals

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bish

Pen pals

Post by bish » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:56 am

I am teaching in Indonesia and have a couple of classes who expressed interest in starting a pen-pal thing. They are aged 13-17, are upper-intermediate, and keen to not only practice English but also to learn about other cultures around the world. Anbody interested?

Zosia

re: pen pals

Post by Zosia » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:22 pm

Hi,

I am about to start teaching English to Junior High School students in Japan. I would love to set up a pen-pal program, but of course I would need to get interest from the students. I thought I would just touch base with you first and let you know i'm interested. I'll discuss the idea with the other teachers and the students and I will let you know what the outcome is.

Regards,

Zosia

annie

Post by annie » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:39 pm

Hi, I have just joined this Teachers Forum and think it is a great way to exchange ideas. It is also a relief to read some articulate English. I have just started teachng in Huangiang, Guangxi Province in South Western China. I think pen pals are a great idea - we always had pen pals as kids. I think it could be an excellent group activity also. One of the problems facing me here in the 'countryside' is the sporadic availability of the Internet. Actually Daves ESL seems always to be available - many of my favourite British and Canadian sites are not accessible, so the exchange of ideas may be my life line here. One of the problems that faces me here is the daunting class size - mostly around 80 - so if we start on pen pals, you could be inundated! I just wanted to share a fun Canadian project called Flat Stanley. He was crushed by a falling bulletin board, so is able to fit into an envelope and be sent around the world, where tales of his adventures in other places are shared. Check out the site www.flatstanleyproject.com.
Annie

dsjames

penpals

Post by dsjames » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:57 am

I think Pen Pals are a great idea to help my 7th graders (12-13 years old) try out their writing skills.
I have nearly 30 girls who are looking for penfriends in either Korea or Japan. I would prefer it to be done snail mail not Email. This way i can monitor (to begin with) what's going on and help them in class - this is going to be a Writing Skills Class project.
Please reply to me at
[email protected]

My girls are all 7th Graders, they would prefer other girls, and they are almost all Puerto Rican.

david

johannes

Post by johannes » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:08 am

Hi everybody!
Great that teachers from all over the world are interested in epal - projects. Wouldn+t it be a great idea if we got three or four schools together and did a project together on one subject and exchenged the results? "Project" sounds rather difficult, but it could incluide just describing the different schools, their environment, teenage life, families etc.
If you are interested, please contact me.

sita

Post by sita » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:01 pm

Hi!

I think your idea is great!
However- sadly my pupils do not like writing letters
or I am unable to motivate them :(

Siân