Begining Business English Class

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Jmacao

Begining Business English Class

Post by Jmacao » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:36 am

I am a new teacher and I am teaching Businees English in Macao. My class is composed of begining to intermidate level students and I am looking for a great text to use in class. The class is a short 30 hour course which requires me to move along quickly. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

eslweb

Business Text

Post by eslweb » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:55 am

If they're office workers I'd definitetly recommend Market Leader, it's much better than any of the other books I've seen. However if they're not expected to do so much writing, consider some conversation books or general English books. New Headway is good for adult learners.

James

P.S. There's more info on the Market leader book at my Website http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/index.htm and a few resources, which you may find handy.

Jmacao

Post by Jmacao » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:51 am

Thanks for the tips James. I will check out the site. I am sure I will have more questions later.

JMacau

tigertiger

Post by tigertiger » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:37 pm

Market Leader

Good for commerical people and HR Admin types.

Engineers find it tiresome (from my experience).

If you want to get through in 30 hours you will need to either assgin all the listeneing and reading as homework, or skip the case studies.

eslweb

Engineers...

Post by eslweb » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:30 am

tigertiger wrote:Market Leader
That doesn't entirely surprise me and in my experience a lot of engineers find the whole concept of business and marketing tiresome... :lol:

With these engineers did you use a general English book or is there a better book out there for that market? Also what kind of engineers were they e.g. Software engineers, civil etc....

tigertiger

Re: Engineers...

Post by tigertiger » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:33 am

eslweb wrote:
tigertiger wrote:Market Leader
That doesn't entirely surprise me and in my experience a lot of engineers find the whole concept of business and marketing tiresome... :lol:

With these engineers did you use a general English book or is there a better book out there for that market? Also what kind of engineers were they e.g. Software engineers, civil etc....
The people I work for give us market leader, although another text would be much better.
Any ideas
:?: :?:

I find all engineers tiresome :lol:
Electrical mechanical in my case. Civil actually are not too bad. Perhaps becuase they have to be more commercially aware if they want to get promoted.

Although software engineers think they are Neo, and want to download the data directly into their cerebral cortex. They usually fail. I find that they don't want to do homework as they work all hours.

Some engineers want to treat language as a science (not an art) and codify everything, forgeting to learn to communicate along the way. :lol:

emile

Post by emile » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:37 am

I find all engineers tiresome
<ahem> As an ESL trainer with a degree in electronic engineering, I'll try to ignore that one.

software engineers think they are Neo
Ouch! Another one! As an e-learning consultant, I'll ignore that one too!

Besides, I am Neo.

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com