ESP (Technical English) in Japan and Korea

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

DDGG

ESP (Technical English) in Japan and Korea

Post by DDGG » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 pm

I’ve been trawling the net for the last couple of months looking for ESP (Technical English) teaching jobs without a great deal of luck. I’m guessing this could be because I’m not monitoring the right websites and it’s the wrong time of year…?

I have several years ESP teaching, course development and materials writing experience in the aviation industry and with engineers in various disciplines.

I’m currently working in the Middle East and looking for a full-time post that can offer sponsorship starting this September. I know September is in the middle of the academic year so am I searching too early? Is there a particular time of year or place where the Technical Colleges/Universities advertise? Do in-company training programmes only employ part-time instructors? Any advice about ‘cold-emailing’ my CV?

Any pointers you might be able to offer would be very welcome!

Many thanks.

Glenski

Post by Glenski » Fri May 26, 2006 12:58 pm

These types of jobs are pretty rare birds in Japan. If you haven't been here a while to make contacts and pick up a few PT jobs along these lines, you probably won't find any.

Universities and Junior Colleges, etc. begin their school terms in April, so they usually advertise for jobs 6-12 months in advance.

kungzoo

Post by kungzoo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:47 am

These types of jobs do appear periodically in Korea and Japan. I've seen them advertised on Dave's Korea Jobs board. You just need to keep looking. There have been jobs for teaching flight attendants as well as military personnel. As for Japan, JAL, their main air carrier is frequently advertising for teachers in The Japan Times. I suggest you apply on spec directly to the airlines or military academies in you are interested. They are often highly over-applied for.

I would also suggest you ask on the Korea and Japan job forums respectively. You will get inundated with replies - unlike here!

http://esl-teaching-resources.blogspot.com