Free trial lessons

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

murphyblue

Free trial lessons

Post by murphyblue » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 am

I have several years of business teaching experience and am thinking of freelancing in companies. As an incentive I am thinking of offering a free trial lesson - has anyone ever done this and what are your thoughts on it? Cheers.

tigertiger

Re: Free trial lessons

Post by tigertiger » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:27 am

murphyblue wrote:I have several years of business teaching experience and am thinking of freelancing in companies. As an incentive I am thinking of offering a free trial lesson - has anyone ever done this and what are your thoughts on it? Cheers.
You could offer it. There is no harm. Worst case is someone just takes a free lesson with no intention of a course, but no harm is done.

The biggest thing to consider. Most big companies prefer to do business with other companies and do not like to engage individuals. You could try to register a company first, this will give you more credibility.

emile

Post by emile » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:56 am

You've got nothing to lose.

I agree with tigertiger, most companies don't like to deal with individuals. However, it is easy enough to register a company, print up some cards... it will give a better impression.

my site: www.roadtogramar.com

Showem

Post by Showem » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:44 am

I offer one free lesson to my private students to test it out, but never to companies. Why? Because to companies, nothing is of worth unless you pay for it. By offering a free lesson, lots of companies will wonder at how professional you really are.

I normally have an initial meeting with the company to discuss what they want to do, my teaching style, arrange a time, etc. If they are a bit hesitant, but only if they are, I offer is to teach a lesson before we sign the contract. My contract says they have to give at least 1 month notice before cancelling a class. So I tell them that if it's not for them, they won't be stuck paying for 3 more lessons if it doesn't suit them, just the one taught. They have the contract in hand, I've signed it already, they just give it to me after the 1st class is taught.

Out of the around dozen customers I have, only one company took this offer. I think it was because they were quite a small company and would have felt the pinch of paying if it didn't work out. As it was, they did continue.

Kizruphiv

Post by Kizruphiv » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:36 am

Where you get it???