Adult Absolute Beginers.

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

tigertiger

Adult Absolute Beginers.

Post by tigertiger » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Anybody any tips, or recomend any materials for Adult learners.

Absolute beginers who are Chinese.

Materials/texts suitable for all interests, including housewives.

geordie

Adult Absolute Beginners.

Post by geordie » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:10 am

`Cutting Edge Starter` is good for rock-bottom starters However, `New Cutting Edge Elementary` is a superb book for that next level if they can manage it.
But hold it - - do you mean by `absolute` that they haven`t mastered their ABCs?

tigertiger

Re: Adult Absolute Beginners.

Post by tigertiger » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:23 am

geordie wrote:`Cutting Edge Starter` is good for rock-bottom starters However, `New Cutting Edge Elementary` is a superb book for that next level if they can manage it.
But hold it - - do you mean by `absolute` that they haven`t mastered their ABCs?
Both true beginers and false beginers.
some will be older folks. They will have ABC becuase of the pinyin writing system which uses roman charachters. But not much more.

The true beginers may be old folks with time on thier hands.

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:26 pm

I like Lifelines 1 Coping Skills In English by Barbara Foley and Howard Pomann, Prentice Hall Regents 1992. It was suggested to me by another teacher in another Dave's Cafe forum. I found it second hand at Alibris.com, and was able to buy a good, clean copy for $7.50 US plus shipping which about doubles the price, but I think it was well worth it. I have found Alibris.com to be reliable.

Macavity

Post by Macavity » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:39 am

I'm very visual so I like to use the pictures from Andrew Wright. You can draw them on the board, or, and this is really very good of the author/publisher, you can photocopy all the material in the book - to play games and so on. In Germany I don't get that many true beginners, but from time to time I get a group with little or even no previous experience of learning English and, for me, using visual support is the natural place to start.